Thursday, 14 February 2013

Current Gypsy Build Photos - Feb 2013

These are all current photos of my Gypsy Build as of Feb 2013.  The wood is all still in good condition, if a little grubby in places.  In a few areas the frost has got to the epoxy causing it to turn a bit white, but the quality marine grade plywood is doing its job.

Tuesday, 21 February 2012

Back to the Cat - First Bulkheads

The winter project (dinghy build) finished, it is time to direct my thoughts to building the Gypsy Sophia. There was one sheet of 6mm ply left from the cuddy, so I spent an interesting afternoon seeing how many bulkheads I could get out of one sheet of 8' x 4' plywood. The answer = 3. Alas, these are the smallest bulkheads, and the remaining 11 will probably require one sheet of plywood each - unless I can join bits together; a question for the forum I think. Time to save for more wood!

Friday, 20 January 2012

Dinghy Launch Day

Although the dinghy has been complete and waiting patiently in my drive for launch day, today has been the first occasion to undertake this ceremony. A brisk wind gave good conditions to really test the boat. A trip out to our small yacht was followed by a row up river to Noss for half a mile or so. Contrary to my expectations, it was easy to manhandle it on and off the roof rack single-handed. On water it performed brilliantly!

Saturday, 31 December 2011

The Dinghy - GITAN

The dinghy, tender to Gypsy Sophia when she is built, is now complete. She decided to call herself 'GITAN', which as you know is French for 'Gypsy'. She weighs in a bit heavier than I would have liked at 60lbs, mainly due to the extra bulkhead and watertight compartments, and the fact that I glass/epoxy sheathed the outside. However, I think I should still be able to get her onto the roof rack single-handed as she is only a few pounds heavier than my kayak.

Friday, 30 December 2011

Paint job & Oars taking shape

I managed to paint much of the dinghy whilst it was in the shed, but the top-coat needed the comfort of a warm lounge to help it flow, so with a bit of grovelling, Lynn agreed. The oars are now ready to be shaped also.

Tuesday, 6 December 2011

Sheathing Hull with glass/epoxy

Time had come to sheath the hull with glass (87kg mat) and epoxy. Unfortunately the weather had become decidedly wintry, with a cold, damp wind making conditions outside unsuitable for this operation. So only one thing for it: bring it indoors onto the dining room table. What a wonderful wife have I!

Friday, 2 December 2011

Foredeck fitted

The foredeck is now fitted and the rowlocks are fixed on, so just a epoxy/glass mat on the outside and a paint needed then we'll be afloat!